Ok... What did you do to your bike today??

Took off the carb from the yzf, and replaced the fuel screw with an aftermarket adjustable. Lost the small washer off the stock screw, took the bowl off, looked for it, blew everyting out, checked the hole twice, put everything back together using the washer from the aftermarket fuel screw. Looked for the washer again but couldn't find it. I know it's not in the carb, but boy does it bother me where it is. I hate that kinda thing. Fun times.

That lift stand I posted is on Ebay priced lower and with Free Shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item2ec3e2fffb&vxp=mtr

thats a really good deal. i have a pit posse sponsorship and thats damn near close to what i can get it at..

i think soon i will pick up that lift/stand, and one of the tire changing stands. speaking of, does anyone use those? Im HORRIBLE at changing tires.. does it help a helpless idiot like myself make it possible to change tires? Ive only done them myself like 2 times, and lets just say my rims didnt look so pretty after, and there was a lot of sweat and swearing involved.

then i see people change them in 10 min like its nothing, on a garage floor with no fancy stand or anything. i just suck.

You and me both....Buddy of mine just bought a tire changing stand. Look forward to seeing him in action on it. If he is good maybe he will be changing my tires. I currrently just pay the local shop like $18 a tire to swap mine....its done, and no scratches all over my rim. Not worth the $18 of my time nor hassels.

and one of the tire changing stands. speaking of, does anyone use those? Im HORRIBLE at changing tires.. does it help a helpless idiot like myself make it possible to change tires? Ive only done them myself like 2 times, and lets just say my rims didnt look so pretty after, and there was a lot of sweat and swearing involved.

Jeez man!

Yes the tire change stands are nice. Again, keeps you standing up and not crawling around.

Use these tire tools:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/171/726/-/31713/Stubby-Pro-Tire-Tool/stubby+tire+tool

They will not scratch anything, and also you must change the tire correctly or you will break them.

Changing tires is all about doing it correctly -- you can do it quickly and without any issue if you do it correctly. Some front tires I can nearly do by hand without tools. It helps to have someone show you how to do it properly. I've watched several videos on it and have gotten pretty good at it. One trick I do sometimes is put the tube in the tire first and put that on the rim as a unit.

Jeez man!

Yes the tire change stands are nice. Again, keeps you standing up and not crawling around.

Use these tire tools:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/171/726/-/31713/Stubby-Pro-Tire-Tool/stubby+tire+tool

They will not scratch anything, and also you must change the tire correctly or you will break them.

Changing tires is all about doing it correctly -- you can do it quickly and without any issue if you do it correctly. Some front tires I can nearly do by hand without tools. It helps to have someone show you how to do it properly. I've watched several videos on it and have gotten pretty good at it. One trick I do sometimes is put the tube in the tire first and put that on the rim as a unit.

ive watched and tried to follow along a couple of the videos. im convinced those are fake tires they are putting on. it just doesnt work the same way for me lol.

yeah just checked those out, if I get the stand i will order those. those look good. until i get a stand though ill continue driving to the a dealer and letting them do it. i just hate to waste any money on stuff i should be able to do myself.

Also depends on the tires.

Bridgestones are easy.
Maxxis are a pain.
Dunlops and Michelins are in the middle.

for a while i was running kendas which are pretty heavy tires, so im assuming those might have been a little harder. i dont think ive attempted one myself since switching to dunlops

for a while i was running kendas which are pretty heavy tires, so im assuming those might have been a little harder. i dont think ive attempted one myself since switching to dunlops

I used to be in the same boat as you. I finally just broke down and bought a few tire irons and told myself I was going to figure this out...

Now I can swap a tire in about 20-30 minutes. It helps to throw the rear tire out in the sun while you work on the front.

I still don't have a fancy tire stand, I just use a garbage can.

Stand up stands are great. I used to hate changing tires too. Wasn't an issue at the dealer I worked at as we had a machine. But after watching the Pirelli guys swap out Willies tires a thousand times at the nationals I started paying attention. Proper procedure and tools and its cake. Sure getting the stem thru is a pain no matter what but the rest is all in how you do it.

Now watch a tire guy do a full mouse tube. That's something special there.

Stand up stands are great. I used to hate changing tires too. Wasn't an issue at the dealer I worked at as we had a machine. But after watching the Pirelli guys swap out Willies tires a thousand times at the nationals I started paying attention. Proper procedure and tools and its cake. Sure getting the stem thru is a pain no matter what but the rest is all in how you do it.

Now watch a tire guy do a full mouse tube. That's something special there.

last tire i had put on (with machine) he used a thing to pull the tire up to get the valve stem in.idk what it was but it was sweet.

take small bites, dont try and put the tire on in three pulls. The smaller increments, the easier it will slide on. Also try and mix up some water with just a few drops of dish soap. Too much, will dry your tubes out. Add a little baby powder in the mix to keep your tubes from sticking to the rim and you shouldnt have any worries. I learned how to do tires from the Motosport videos on youtube. Use good tire spoons, not those cheap straight tire irons. Another tricked I learned is once you get the tube in the tire, pull the valve stem and add some air into the tube, with the valve stem out the air will blow back out, but leave some still in their and allow the spoons to slide around the tube and not pinch inbetween the rim.

These guys from tire manufactures changing tires at the track have it easy. They are taking off and putting on fresh tires. I change a lot of tires and taking an old tire off is way harder than putting a new one on. Even with a tire machine an old hard tire is a pain in the dick sometimes.

That rolling stand is pretty sweet but if you have the space a regular motorcycle lift is the way to go. You have that bench space to work on stuff and lay your tools on that comes in handy.

Back