Battle race .... lets poke the bear.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I went to the gncc.

Slowly starting my conversion.

But I have noticed if OIR is open it's always a good turn out - always.
BJ has had some good turnouts this year too - but anytime OIR is open beans is a small turnout.

Good on OIR giving a badass track that will pull in customers.

jj584

PR Addict
There was to much competition this weekend to draw a crowd is what I think. You had a qualifier in PA and IL, races at east fork and practice at OIR. All were good options for great racing and riding. My kid raced the Battle, it was prepped it was organized it was Malvern. The layout is getting tired for my kid so he's not really interested in going back over and over. A lot of tracks need an update and are becoming stale ,Apple cabin, beans, tv land, Malvern, Y town, even OIR until they did this last touchup. Field of dreams quote coming? Just build it...no Nike emoji. Time to start driving south as a northerner to get something fresh.

Meister

PR Founding Father
If I was an owner of a public Ohio mx track, I would definitely close my track during these types of event. I know everyone needs and loves making money, but bigger picture says if you drive people to attending such events because theres nowhere else to be, they're going to go and they're going to enjoy it. Even if a few of JO's goon sQuad or BJ's hill people catch wind of an "Ohio state championship" race and decide to go watch, then love it, it's going to benefit them in the end. It's only going to put them at said track more often trying to get better. Then you have a new race customer in the organization. If I owned a track in ohio, I would be helping promote these types of event. Leading up to it you could pimp "the conditions here will be what you're faced with at a battle race, better keep training" kinda thing the you see these "camps" do before loretta's..

I know no one who owns a track is going to see it this way, but if every track owner did, could you imagine the turn out for a battle? East fork having a race, regardless of make up or not, was stupid. I know I know, they made money.. but let's think of the other guy for once and maybe our sport will get better turn outs..

I couldn't believe how good the track was. People definitely missed out. Much more appealing to me than the slot car pics I saw posted from other places as far as racing goes.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
There was to much competition this weekend to draw a crowd is what I think. You had a qualifier in PA and IL, races at east fork and practice at OIR. All were good options for great racing and riding. My kid raced the Battle, it was prepped it was organized it was Malvern. The layout is getting tired for my kid so he's not really interested in going back over and over. A lot of tracks need an update and are becoming stale ,Apple cabin, beans, tv land, Malvern, Y town, even OIR until they did this last touchup. Field of dreams quote coming? Just build it...no Nike emoji. Time to start driving south as a northerner to get something fresh.

BJ is gearing up for a major overhaul at beans. He even mentioned changing the direction of the track again.

MX099

PR Addict
I went to the gncc.

Slowly starting my conversion.

But I have noticed if OIR is open it's always a good turn out - always.
BJ has had some good turnouts this year too - but anytime OIR is open beans is a small turnout.

Good on OIR giving a badass track that will pull in customers.
How was your GNCC Experience?
Good enough to do High Point June 5-6

Bill480

PR Addict
If I was an owner of a public Ohio mx track, I would definitely close my track during these types of event. I know everyone needs and loves making money, but bigger picture says if you drive people to attending such events because theres nowhere else to be, they're going to go and they're going to enjoy it. Even if a few of JO's goon sQuad or BJ's hill people catch wind of an "Ohio state championship" race and decide to go watch, then love it, it's going to benefit them in the end. It's only going to put them at said track more often trying to get better. Then you have a new race customer in the organization. If I owned a track in ohio, I would be helping promote these types of event. Leading up to it you could pimp "the conditions here will be what you're faced with at a battle race, better keep training" kinda thing the you see these "camps" do before loretta's..

I know no one who owns a track is going to see it this way, but if every track owner did, could you imagine the turn out for a battle? East fork having a race, regardless of make up or not, was stupid. I know I know, they made money.. but let's think of the other guy for once and maybe our sport will get better turn outs..

I couldn't believe how good the track was. People definitely missed out. Much more appealing to me than the slot car pics I saw posted from other places as far as racing goes.

"Losing" money for the "greater good" of the sport... did I log in to the right forum?

John250

PR Founding Father

You're getting old..........LOL. You're sounding like me. One of the reasons I like Malvern is because it is not a slot car track with ruts every where. Even Briar Cliff is usually no where near what East Fork is like. 2nd motos at East Fork were not as bad. To each their own. Matthew does not mind the ruts at all, me I like fresh till, easier on the blown disc in my back.

Look at the nationals last year. Most anymore are like slot car tacks. Millville was not like that, and Millville by far had the best racing all year. Am I the only one that thinks the super rough, and rutted does not make the racing better?

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
How was your GNCC Experience?
Good enough to do High Point June 5-6

It was honestly a blast - I wasn't sure how much I was going to like it. I have raced the EROC GP series the past few years but never anything over one 40 ish mins.

Some notes
  • Sign up took maybe 10 mins - so fast. Would have been 3 mins if I pre-registered.
  • $85 total on the weekend - Gate, racing and transponder
  • 2.5 hours of seat time - 11 mile course - 3 laps
  • I did not ride any woods before I went
  • I did not ride anything longer than a 30 minute moto before I went
  • I raced the A.M race - first two laps the course was pretty smooth - there are a ton of riders out there so you always feel like you are racing with someone.
  • Last lap I was pretty tired - mentally cooked too - but the mental grind to get through that was kind of fun.
  • Last lap the course was rough but I never had any issues making it around - I got stuck on one hill with some slick rocks but walked the dog and got remounted and it was fine.
  • I used MX suspension and little roost guard hand guards on my YZ450 - I didn't change any clickers - was fine didn't die. Course is really wide.
  • The people are all so nice - it's awesome. I bugged some A riders parked next to me just asking questions about how to pit etc - the one guy made sure to come up to me after my race and ask me how I liked it before he went out for his - that doesn't happen in moto.
  • I'm not going to replace moto with gncc by any means. But I will be hitting more without a doubt in my mind. It was grassroots and it was fun. Perfect vibe.
  • I think I was back home by 4:30? - 2 hour drive for me. My race started at 10 am. I loved that.
  • I was pretty sore when I got home - few new blisters on my hands but nothing crazy. Hydrate.

I highly recommend anyone go check them out - it's worth the time 100%, I will absolutely be racing more of them - I'm not ready to chase the whole series yet but it really is an awesome event.

Last edited:

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
gncc polar.jpg

Here is some info from my polar watch from the gncc - probably should just have a separate thread about this...

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Not sure how you call it stupid when the turnout was bigger at the Fork??
I get what your saying about stiff competition but the number don't lie.
Clearly it comes down to distance. Its 3.5 hours from Fork to Malvern. Plus a different organization. I would be willing to bet the majority of races at EF were from the West and or South part of the state which means the distance to Malvern is even further.

Crazy idea... What if you have 3 "qualifiers" to make it to a single state championship race? Spread the qualifiers around the state then move the Championship race to a different track each year. And evolve every track. Make it a lottery pick on what tracks get the races. If you want to be involved then you agree (by contract) to not hold events or practice against any of the other races. Don't want the chance to hold an event? Then fine, Open all you want. Take the top 10 from each race for a max of 30 in each class. Want to run all three "qualifiers"? Great, you eliminate more possible competition at the STATE championship. The track can then bump the entry fee for the Final race up $10 or $20 each to compensate.
Just an idea

hershey

PR Elite
CK finally gets it. If you want a battle race you sign a contract not to have an event of any type on that day. Something the president of the OMA doesn't get.

JO, you have no idea how many of the 60 people would have raced or even just watched Malvern. But as the President of the OMA, what kind of example are you setting. You think Malvern doesn't owe people money? That's just selfish and it's wrong. The truth finally comes out.

Maybe I'll host Davefest on your battle date. I guarantee I pull 50 riders off your race. Practice people don't race, right??

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Clearly it comes down to distance. Its 3.5 hours from Fork to Malvern. Plus a different organization. I would be willing to bet the majority of races at EF were from the West and or South part of the state which means the distance to Malvern is even further.

Crazy idea... What if you have 3 "qualifiers" to make it to a single state championship race? Spread the qualifiers around the state then move the Championship race to a different track each year. And evolve every track. Make it a lottery pick on what tracks get the races. If you want to be involved then you agree (by contract) to not hold events or practice against any of the other races. Don't want the chance to hold an event? Then fine, Open all you want. Take the top 10 from each race for a max of 30 in each class. Want to run all three "qualifiers"? Great, you eliminate more possible competition at the STATE championship. The track can then bump the entry fee for the Final race up $10 or $20 each to compensate.
Just an idea
Then after a couple years have regional events to get to the state championship.....pretty original idea ya got there.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
CK finally gets it. If you want a battle race you sign a contract not to have an event of any type on that day. Something the president of the OMA doesn't get.

JO, you have no idea how many of the 60 people would have raced or even just watched Malvern. But as the President of the OMA, what kind of example are you setting. You think Malvern doesn't owe people money? That's just selfish and it's wrong. The truth finally comes out.

Maybe I'll host Davefest on your battle date. I guarantee I pull 50 riders off your race. Practice people don't race, right??
Im very sure. Extremely sure, because 15 or so were quads, and roughly half of the rest had no graphics or numbers.....you want to keep going??

Meister

PR Founding Father

Just an idea
It was stupid in the way of diluting an Ohio state championship race day. How many of those riders would have made that drive to malvern? Alot probably.

Double D

PR Founding Father
I feel bad I missed Malvern, Closing on house, and my normal dailey catastrophies.

wouldn't have went anywhere else if I went riding at all.

jj584

PR Addict
How many people care about the Ohio state Championship portion of the equation? We went to get gate drops against fast people and it was close to home. I know we are not traveling to Chilitown or PA for the series its just not a big deal for us. We refuse to ride tracks we don't like just to participate in a series regardless of the title. Open when you want, race when you want. If your product is good enough the money will come to you. The people of the south spoke and they preferred they're local track and series to the Battle. Is that an East fork issue for hosting a race or a Malvern issue for not being a draw? I think I heard the KOC turnout was lack luster as well. Here is a simple truth, its hard to compete against OIR for riders we almost went there instead ourselves and I wish we would have honestly.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
How many people care about the Ohio state Championship portion of the equation? We went to get gate drops against fast people and it was close to home. I know we are not traveling to Chilitown or PA for the series its just not a big deal for us. We refuse to ride tracks we don't like just to participate in a series regardless of the title. Open when you want, race when you want. If your product is good enough the money will come to you. The people of the south spoke and they preferred they're local track and series to the Battle. Is that an East fork issue for hosting a race or a Malvern issue for not being a draw? I think I heard the KOC turnout was lack luster as well. Here is a simple truth, its hard to compete against OIR for riders we almost went there instead ourselves and I wish we would have honestly.
Based on the number of people who attend the banquet that are just battle, and haven't piggy backed that on onto the night series or overall series, very few. I myself am in the that minority, but there aren't many of us that are Battle only. Like next to none. So I would agree with you based on actual numbers, that the State Championship is somewhat played out. That's just another award for most to go with the table full of stuff. Its the expectations of the events that draw people. KOC was like 444, which is typical for it, but it would have been worse had we not had some of the regional racers coming to get track time.

jj584

PR Addict
Based on the number of people who attend the banquet that are just battle, and haven't piggy backed that on onto the night series or overall series, very few. I myself am in the that minority, but there aren't many of us that are Battle only. Like next to none. So I would agree with you based on actual numbers, that the State Championship is somewhat played out. That's just another award for most to go with the table full of stuff. Its the expectations of the events that draw people. KOC was like 444, which is typical for it, but it would have been worse had we not had some of the regional racers coming to get track time.
OIR was open on both the KOC weekend and this past battle. They are definitely pulling riders as they had decent turn out. The banquet portion of the East Fork race also helped them. I'll stick with the statement that sick layouts and prep will draw the money. If you cant do that put in hookups build dog s**t and let the pits get wild...That also seems to work. Shots fired.

hershey

PR Elite
Lol....none of you get the point. It isn't about turnout, it's about unity. Even if by opening each promoter took only 1 rider, you still took money from the pocket of someone you are supposed to be supporting. The OMA is a sanctioning body with a very limited number of tracks. Why not support your tracks and help them get those gates instead of competing against them. That's what you're missing. The OMA should be a team, not a group of individual tracks fighting for the same base of riders on the same day.

For JO, as the President you ask a track to hold a race, then you hold an event competing with that race. Not sure how ethically that is the right thing to do. But I guess if you can't see the issue with that, you're golden.

JJ.... the first couple years of the battle were the race to be at. The gates were big and full of fast people.

JO &JJ .... Maybe they aren't played out, maybe years of BC and Plessinger running events on top of Battle races killed the luster.

jj584

PR Addict
Lol....none of you get the point. It isn't about turnout, it's about unity. Even if by opening each promoter took only 1 rider, you still took money from the pocket of someone you are supposed to be supporting.

For JO, as the President you ask a track to hold a race, then you hold an event competing with that race. Not sure how ethically that is the right thing to do. But I guess if you can't see the issue with that, you're golden.

JJ.... the first couple years of the battle were the race to be at. The gates were big and full of fast people.

JO &JJ .... Maybe they aren't played out, maybe years of BC and Plessinger running events on top of Battle races killed the luster.I
Is there a pissing contest between OMA and Buckeye series? There's def some rapey pee pee measuring tension in the air. I don't like your idea because I like options. If I wake up and don't feel like going to the battle than I want the option to go somewhere else. Flavor is the spice of life (RIP married peeps).