Winter Projects Re-re-re-re-visited

AHRMA361

PR Founding Father
Put Ohlins on my 76 Maico back in 2007 & worth every penny...only wish I still had the bike and was racing it. Ohlins first choice by far but make u cough up some bucks but you get what you pay for with them and won't regret it. Maico Mark

I have never been fast enough to explore the advantage of Ohlins vintage application shocks. But, I agree with Factory Fortney/MX049. If you want to beat the best, better start with the parts that can get you there.

evomx244

PR Addict
I've never bought a new ohlins but I've had older ones rebuilt for my 86 CR250 and 84 YZ250. I thought they were a pretty big improvement over the stockers. I currently have a older Ohlins (rebuilt from MX-Tech) for my 82 YZ250 project.

Last edited:

beenridin

PR Elite
I've never bought a new ohlins but I've had a older ones rebuilt for my 86 CR250 and 84 YZ250. I thought they were a pretty big improvement over the stockers. I currently have a older Ohlins (rebuilt from MX-Tech) for my 82 YZ250 project.
Cost??

evomx244

PR Addict
for the rebuild? I think I paid 140.00 on ebay for the shock for my 82 and had MX tech rebuild for a couple hundred bucks. I had a few problems and they took care of it no cost. I recommend MX tech for any older shock work, they have rebuilt a few WP shocks for me (including one Horvat screwed up) and do great work at a great price

BILL88L

PR Addict
Evo got a pretty good deal compared to what I see-rarely see a correct one for that low even needing a rebuild. In my case I think I spent $375 for the shock on ebay - I had the guy send it straight to Steve and he charged another $400 or so but he did put in a heavier spring. To buy one new they are like $1100. To me the stated price for $750 on rebuild ready to go is reasonable. The only thing I would say if you really think about it is to make sure you ask for a complete rebuild - all seals, bumpers, etc. I would also makes sure it has the right spring for your slender frame..........he has extras. If it did keep that spring I would ask about painting or touch up. If nothing else maybe just call him and see what he says. He knows what's up.

Vet261

PR Addict
Anybody like twins?

twins.JPG

evomx244

PR Addict
We gotz Zinc, had a few bikes done at one time. hopefully be able to get the 82 YZed project up on wheels soon

Attachments

• ZINC_PLATED_PARTS.jpeg
    ZINC_PLATED_PARTS.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 170

Vet261

PR Addict
One of the best improvements I made to the 84 this season (IMO) was converting the steering stem to tapered bearings. It feels awesome.