Winter Projects Re-re-re-re-visited

evomx244

PR Addict
Finally making some progress on my 82 YZ250-I was able to get most of the bottom end together this weekend.

Attachments

• 1982 yZ250.jpeg
    1982 yZ250.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 1982 yZ250-1.jpeg
    1982 yZ250-1.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 223

evomx244

PR Addict
Finally laced up my rear wheel with a new sun gold rim and stainless steel spokes from Buchanan. (pricey but worth it)

Attachments

• YZ250 REAR WHEEL.JPG
    YZ250 REAR WHEEL.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 162

NQ1965

PR Elite
Wow, that's sharp!
I was just thinking about the YZ rims last week. I have to replace a broken spoke in my 82 front wheel from an altercation with another racers footpeg battling for a corner at Mid Ohio in 2013. I was wondering if it's possible to get the stock wheels re-anodized.

Yours will be a shiner when you are done.

NQ1965

PR Elite
You're gonna get yours restored and cherry'd out and cause me to have doubts about putting mine up for sale.

Mike

PR Addict
Wow, that's sharp!
I was just thinking about the YZ rims last week. I have to replace a broken spoke in my 82 front wheel from an altercation with another racers footpeg battling for a corner at Mid Ohio in 2013. I was wondering if it's possible to get the stock wheels re-anodized.

Yours will be a shiner when you are done.

No problem getting old wheels re anodized, I had a set done for a 1978 RM125C restoration a couple of years ago, TCR in CA did them, looks like they may no longer be in business, here is a link to another place I looked at. I was pleased with the results.

http://www.rtrwheellacing.com/

Attachments

• 068.JPG
    068.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 196

NQ1965

PR Elite
Man... Did the RM's ever look that good new?

At $249 to anodize, lace and true-up both wheels I'm not sure I would bother doing myself again or not.
Thanks for the link.

Kind of a funny thought: When I did my MX250 wheels, it was my first time relacing wheels. I really took my time paying extra-extra attention to not screw the job up. And was even quite pleased with how close I got them true'd up with my dial indicator. (after numerous painstaking hours of course).
Then at my very first venture out on the bike, the AHRMA race at Smith road, it occured to me to just double check the spokes in case they seated a litlle during the 1st moto. Hell, every spoke in the wheel was loose.

Mike

PR Addict
It really was more a case of keeping the original rims than the cost,,,,,,,,,,,, I was so deep in this RM at the time that I stopped keeping track of the expense. I just send bare rims to TRC and I think it was approx. $300 for the pair to re anodize. Here's another angle, looks nicer than the one I picked at the dealer in 1978.

Attachments

• 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 217

NQ1965

PR Elite
So....... The big question, Did that "dirt bike" make it back to the dirt? :D

I've got a very rough 76 RM125 in my barn that I would like to get to at some time. The bike has a good feel sitting on it.

Mike

PR Addict
No, I have 5 dirt bikes, 4 get dirty on a regular basis. The RM125C is in my office and gives me as much enjoyment as the others. I have been on long boring conference calls for work sitting on it in the middle of winter.

dmx153

PR Founding Father
This '83 RM250 fell into my lap Tuesday. It seems there's always a story with vintage bikes and this one is no exception. I was at Kame's on my lunch hour when an old friend and great wrench Sam Shahan strolled in. Turns out he had this old bike in his garage for the last 6 months or so that a friend brought to him to change the rear wheel and do some general maintenance. Sam felt that with the parts and labor it would cost more than what the bike is worth so it's been sitting. Sam called the guy and he decided to sell it to me for a great price. The owner bought it new when he was a teenager and only rode it around his farm and did some trail riding, making me the 2nd owner of this bike! It does need work but I did get an extra rear wheel already laced up and some other spare parts which will help make this project a little easier. I'm not doing a full restore, I don't have the patience but will at least make it a runner and get it race ready.

001.JPG

002.JPG

NQ1965

PR Elite
My Goodness...
For all of the Suzuki's that surface in you guy's part of the state, one would think there's a factory nearby.

Anybody up there ever own a Kawasaki or Bultaco? :D